Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Kristina's Movie Review Corner- "There Will Be Blood"


Daniel Day-Lewis won an Oscar for Best Actor for "There Will Be Blood." I, for one, thought that Day-Lewis definitely deserved the award.

The film was directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, who also directed "Magnolia" and wrote and directed "Boogies Nights." "There Will Be Blood" is based on a novel called "Oil", which was written by Upton Sinclair in 1927. This is a story about family, greed, religion, and oil, centered on a turn-of-the-century prospector in the early days of the business.

The evolution of the Day-Lewis' character is absolutely breath-taking. Even if the subject matter (the early oil industry) is not particularly interesting to you, this movie is still very intriguing. I definitely felt like I was sucked in!! It's really fun to see a movie about a time (turn-of-the-century) and a business that I am not very familiar with. I've read that while some elements are a bit exaggerated for the sake of the film, that all in all the portrayal of the time and events is rather accurate.

In addition to an Oscar for Best Actor, the film was also awarded an Oscar for Best Cinematography. The images are very powerful. I do warn you that there are some violent moments and that this movie was rated "R" in the USA- which means it's not for children. The classical orchestral soundtrack beautifully accompanies the action. The movie is rather long at 2hour and 40minutes, but I was never bored.

The depiction of religion, business and greed in the United States in the early 1900s was enough to make me squirm uncomfortably in my seat...but I really loved it!! I definitely encourage you to see this unforgettable movie!

No comments: